FAQs for Childcarers

Frequently Asked Questions for Childcarers

What is a DBS check?

The DBS help to prevent unsuitable people from working with vulnerable groups, including children. They are responsible for making considered decisions regarding whether an individual should be barred from engaging in regulated activity with children, adults or both, in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

In Scotland, there is the PVG scheme which is managed and delivered by Disclosure Scotland. It helps make sure people whose behaviour makes them unsuitable to work with children and/or protected adults can't do 'regulated work' with these vulnerable groups.

How often must a carer renew their DBS and how long does this take?

Carers should reapply for approval eight to 10 weeks in advance. For parents to retain continuous entitlement to tax credits / employer supported childcare vouchers, it is necessary for their nanny or carer to remain approved or registered. A new DBS must be accepted every three years though you will still need to apply for approval each year and will need to provide evidence that your first aid training is up to date.

If you are working as a Tinies Temp, we would expect you to sign up to the DBS Update service or get a new DBS check done every year.

How can I join the DBS update Service?

You can join the update service for standard and enhanced checks as soon as you have your application form reference number. This means you'll have the flexibility to take your DBS certificate from role to role. You can ask for the number when you apply for your DBS check. Or you can join the update service with your certificate number when you receive your DBS certificate. If so, you must do so within 30 calendar days of the date of issue which is printed on the certificate. Moreover, the service costs £13.

Where can I gain paediatric first aid training?

We can send through details of a local training centre who run regular courses across the country. We work with national and local providers, too. Your local Tinies can help provide you with options in your area that fulfil Ofsted regulations where necessary.

What is paediatric first aid training and how do I get it?

Paediatric first aid refers to the immediate care given to a child / infant who has been injured, or who has become ill prior to the arrival of qualified medical assistance. Ofsted registration requires the 12 hour course to meet their requirements.

How do we contact you if there is a potential job opportunity?

We can reach out to you via email, phone or text. We post jobs in a number of locations on our website, https://www.tinies.com/childcare-jobs/search/nanny-jobs/, our local Facebook pages and we email jobs out to people registered in local branches. Register in your local branch to receive these updates.

Who will be the employer: Tinies, the parents or the setting?

  • If you are working as a permanent nanny, the family you work for will become your employer.
  • If we place you in a permanent roll in a nursery, the nursery will become your employer. 
  • If you work as a temp or at a one off event, you will be pay-rolled by Tinies.
  • It will always be made clear with each placement opportunity who your employer will be.

What hours should I expect to work?

The nature of childcare means the hours are varied. The hours in nurseries are fairly orthodox and can be between 07:00 and 19:00. However, for work with individual families the hours will depend on their specific needs and may include evenings and weekends.

If I get pregnant can I bring my child back to work with me when I return from maternity leave?

There is currently no right under UK law for an employee to bring their baby or child to work after returning from maternity leave. Your employer will often keep your job open to you on the same terms and conditions as you were on before you went on maternity leave. The situation will depend on the thoughts of your employer - you will need to discuss plans with them.

If I have a question about my payroll who can I ask?

If you have a question about your payroll you need to discuss it with your employer. If they are unsure of the answer, there are nanny payroll specialists who they can work with, Tinies has a working relationship with both Nanny Matters and Nanny Tax.

Do I need to have nanny insurance?

It's not a legal obligation but it is recommended to make sure you are covered in the event of a claim. Should you wish to take out Nanny Insurance, Tinies works with Morton Michel.

If you are applying for Ofsted registration, it is a mandatory requirement to have Nanny insurance.

If I am required to drive as part of my job, what factors should I consider?

If you are using your own car, you will need to make sure your insurance coverage allows you to use your vehicle for work and covers you for passengers. If you are using your employer's car you will need to make sure you have adequate insurance on your own policy or on your employers insurance.

Will I be required to take my holiday leave at the same time as the family I am employed by?

This will depend on the contract you arrange with the employer. We recommend that this is included in the contract so that there is no grey area.

Do I need to have a qualification to be a nanny?

This will depend on the family; however, experience is often considered where qualifications are absent.

There are courses available such as Caring for Children in their own home, which you could consider, this is offered through Tinies Training.

What is the Ofsted Register?

The Ofsted register is split into the Early Years Register and the Childcare Register.

  1. The Early Years Register Compulsory for childcare providers for children of ages up to five, unless exempt.*

  2. The Ofsted Childcare Register is for Childcare Providers caring for children over the age of 5. There are two parts to the OCR:

    1. Compulsory when the provider is caring for one or more children aged between five and seven.

    2. Voluntary for all other childcare providers, including those who look after children in their own home*.

*Ofsted refers to a nanny, or a person who minds children in the children's own home, as a Home Childcarer, and they are exempt from the compulsory registers. Nannies can register under the voluntary part providing they meet the criteria.

If you are a nanny in Scotland, please visit the Scottish Care Inspectorate.

In Wales, nannies can register on the Care and Social Services Inspectorate Wales Childcare at Home Voluntary Approval Scheme.

In Northern Ireland, nannies can register on the NI Direct Government Services Home Childcarer Approval Scheme.

To register or for further information please contact your local branch.

Can I be paid through the Tax Free Childcare Scheme?

A Nanny must be registered with Ofsted before they will be able to be paid through Tax-Free Childcare. You will also need to apply for a Tax-Free Childcare user ID through the Gov.co.uk website.

What additional benefits or self-development opportunities can I enjoy if I work on a temporary basis for Tinies?

We have lots of offers and support available for Tinies Candidates, such as online training, legal support and discount offers, you can find more information about these here.

What qualifications do I need to have to work in a nursery?

Many Nurseries will look for candidates with a Level 3 or above. However there are opportunities for those with Level 2 or those seeking apprenticeships. You'll find more career guidance from Tinies here.

Or you can look to CACHE who are the leading sector specialist in qualifications for the care and education industry and can provide advice on what careers might suit your needs. To access Early Years Career Information and a useful Career Progression Map visit the CACHE choosing a career page.


quotation mark
Your work is saving me so much time, I would like to thank you and the rest of your team for the work that you do for Christmas Cottage Nursery.
Jenny, Nursery Manager, Buckinghamshire