When you hire someone to look after your children in your home, you owe it to the nanny and to yourself to have a very clear picture of exactly what the nanny's duties and responsibilities will involve
If this nanny is taking over from a previous nanny, having a week or two of handovers of nanny responsibilities is a good idea. Or, as the employer, you may need to take a week off to settle the nanny in with your children and home.
Looking for Childcare? Send us your Requirements
Some areas to think about when you're inducting your new nanny:
1. What are their likes and dislikes?
- Favourite toys, books and characters
- Special soft toy friends or comforters
- Any allergies or regular medications - how and when to administer
- Food - what are their favourite dishes, and what do you prefer them to eat
- Who are their nearest and dearest - grandparents, cousins, aunties, uncles and friends
2. Go through:
- Routines (sleep, play, bath time, eating)
- Approach to discipline
- Taking telephone messages and making calls
- Dealing with people who come to the door
- Petty cash/expenses
- Nanny diary - how will you correspond with each other at the start and end of the day?
1. Around the house:
- Kitchen - how does the cooker/washing machine/microwave work?
- Where do you keep your vacuum cleaner and cleaning products?
- Where are your first aid kit and medicine?
- Where is your sewing box?
- Locking up procedures - alarm codes
- If the nanny is live in - does she need a shelf for her own food etc
2. Introduce your nanny to your:
- Playgroups, swimming classes, NCT etc
- Children's teachers and play workers
- Children's friends and their carers and parents
- Any other people who are important to your family
3. Prepare a contact list:
- Phone numbers to include parents' work and mobiles; neighbours; school; doctors; grandparents; friends
- Will your nanny always be able to contact you at work?
4. Equipment check and demonstrations
- Car seats - correctly fitted into the car (check with her car and your car)
- Pushchairs, buggies and highchairs - collapsing demonstrations
- Tour of the local area: local parks, library, shops, swimming pools, schools, playgroups, doctors, hospital
If you'd like to learn more about hiring a nanny or need more details on the duties and responsibilities of a nanny, get in touch with Tinies.
Send your childcare requirements to your local Tinies nanny agency